Supply Chain Management Personal Evaluation for BUSN 420

Tell us, why you decided to go into your chosen field of study, and how your education reinforced your desire to be a Supply Chain Management Major. How do these factors translate into benefits for us should we desire to hire you?

Growing up as a kid I always prevailed in math. I enjoy using numbers and coming up with different equations to solve situations. Every new equation brought to my attention by my teachers was always a challenge. The butterflies I get in my stomach when I’m working a problem and I finally get the solution before any of my other classmates thrilled me. Once I got to high school, I just knew I was going to be a mathematics major in college, so I chose Finance as my goal major my freshmen year in high school. I joined a club, Future Manager Leaders of America the same year. My advisor, Mr. Connor, asked me did I want to compete in any categories that the club offered. I told him sure is there anything I can do involving math, and he said yes try accounting. I studied all year to prepare for the competition in March. All my studying paid off, I got first place at the district competition, and made it to state. However, I did not place in the state competition, but I realized that I really liked accounting. I took the dual enrollment Accounting class for college my junior year in high school and completed the course with an A. Upon graduating, I chose Accounting as my major in the Business College at Auburn.



My first year at Auburn, I took Managerial Accounting and I loved it, I just knew this is what I was going to do and I was not changing my major. My accounting advisor, Dr. Stevens the best! She made me so interested in my major, I looked forward to taking all the different levels of accounting, until I took intermediate accounting. We had a project called System Understanding Aid that gave you a real world experience as an accountant. This is when I realize being an accountant was not what I really wanted to do. Thus, I had to reevaluate my skills, and the things I was good at to figure out what major I wanted to change to. In high school I was always good at managing/being a leader. I was the captain of my basketball team from 6th grade until 9th grade. My junior year in high school, I was the leader of my Business Financial Plan in FBLA, and I became President my senior year. I was the basketball manager for our boys basketball team my junior and senior year. So, I was really good at being a leader and managing a team. Dr. Stevens advised me to look into the Supply Chain Management major and I did. I decided this is what I was destined to do.
I got a job at a book store called School Book Rentals, Inc. in Alabama right by Auburn. My uncle is the store manager so she hired me right off the back. She allowed me to apply my management skills to my job for her. I had to keep up with all the student records who rented books from us. Before each semester or quarter began, I had to do inventory on each book, order more books and different books needed for classes for that semester/quarter, and call people that still had not turned their books in from the previous quarter/semester. Some days, I had to open up the store and run the store for that day by myself, dealing with 20-50 students a day. It gave me a lot of experience and I appreciated her helping me with that.


I have grown to love being a supply chain major, and I know this is the career field I want to be in. Having the opportunity to actually run and manage a business for 2 different colleges is a very tactful job, but I appreciated every minute of it. It helped me better myself as a person and as a candidate for a job other than one with family. The combination of my skills and personality would make a great assets to the company, and I look forward to learning and creating new things with the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment